"I am having a hard time finding an apartment or home to rent -
can you help?"
The expert in the country for finding housing that accepts all dogs is
do this through hosting educational events, pack walks, hosting the nation's largest non-discriminatory housing database, and having active volunteers across the country who engage the community, property owners, and insurance companies in conversations about our family dogs
If you know of a Pit Bull friendly rental property or if a rental has changed their pet policy, please take a moment to share the info.
- Housing options are more likely with landlords of privately owned properties such as single family homes, duplexes and small apartment buildings like 4 family units. (NOT the big, managed apartment complexes)
- Talk with other large breed owners (other pit bull owners, Rottweilers, German Shepard's, etc.) for ideas - owners are often willing and happy to share their ideas and experiences
- They've been proactive and ready to talk about their dogs with potential landlords -
- Asking landlords to meet their dog before making any decisions
- Having pictures, references and paperwork for their dog along with them during rental property visits (demonstrate you are a responsible dog owner and renter)
- Most supporters agree that the search definitely takes more effort - it can be just long and hard.
Information for Home Owners and Renters
Home Owner's and Renter's Insurance Companies: Here are a few insurance companies that BCBC members have recommended as friendly to home owners and renters with any breed of dog:
- Allstate Insurance
- Lakeview Insurance - Dollins & Associates
- State Farm Insurance
- Auto Owners Insurance
Municipal Regulations for Owners: Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties
Make sure you know the rules for your area ... fences, yards, leash laws, etc.
A related question we are frequently asked is ... I am looking for long-term dog sitting or temporary foster care for my dog while I am in transition - can you help?
BCBC cannot provide foster or long-term care for dogs, we do not have the resources to do it ourselves and do not know of any organizations or businesses providing this type of care. The best recommendation we can provide at this time is to work with family or close friends and see if they can help you. If and when better information becomes available, we will be sure to share it.